top of page
Hofgut Stammen Panorama

About us

Hofgut Stammen is located in a landscape conservation area designated as a floodplain. The ecological balance is still intact here. These circumstances allow our guests to spend their time in a natural environment, which is probably becoming increasingly rare throughout the Federal Republic. For example, the surrounding slopes are habitat for plant species that are considered highly endangered or extinct elsewhere, including quite a few species of orchids. 

Once upon a time: From the history of the Hofgut Stammen!

Nobody is able to say exactly when the Hofgut Stammen was built. The village of Stammen itself may even be of Celtic origin - like some other villages at the Diemel. The first documen
tary mention of Stammen - as a property of the Corvey monastery - is around the year one thousand. In the following period it belonged to the bishops of Paderborn, the Braunschweig dukes and local families in constantly changing ownership.
Since the early Middle Ages, noble families are documented as residing in Stammen. It is assumed that they had farms and a castle on the site of the present farmstead. Some building elements also date back to this period. However, many reconstructions in the past centuries have changed the appearance of the estate again and again.
In 1465, the Pappenheim family took over the estate. It remained in their possession until the fifties of our century. It was used for agriculture until the seventies. In 1772 the construction of the castle was completed. It saw many prominent visitors, Hessian landgraves or Jerome, King of Westphalia - a brother of Napoleon.
The current owner is the Valtingojer family, to whom the farm owes its preservation and conversion. Milking parlors became vacation apartments; stables became taverns, groups of children sleep in former horse stables. 
We are pleased to welcome you at Hofgut Stammen:


bottom of page